The Book of Romans
None that doeth Good
All humanity is guilty of sin, rebellion against God. God is revealing Himself to mankind through divine revelation in nature and the written Word. The murderer and the “good person” are equally guilty of sin. Mankind can never improve on his depraved nature to the point that he is good enough to satisfy God’s requirement for salvation! All humanity is guilty of sin! Therefore, all mankind is in need of a Savior!
I. Humanity’s Deficiencies, Vs. 10-12
- V 10, As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one. The beginning of unrighteousness is when the fool makes a conscience decision that there is no God. Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. The terms “Doeth good” and “righteousness” refer to same thing. They mean to be right with God. To be right with God is different than trying to be right with some individual. When we have a difference with friends we may or may not be to blame, but to continue our friendship we must find some way to compromise. But if we are going to be right with God, we must play according to His rules. God’s salvation is a take or leave it proposition. God has worked out a plan of salvation that is true to His character and nature. To be right with God means to accept His way of salvation. No one can be made right with God based on his or her own righteousness.
- V 11, There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. God is not concealing Himself from mankind. In contrasts to the belief that religion is a evolutionary process in which man searches for God, God is out in the open telling everyone that they are a sinner and offering salvation to all who will trust in His provision. Luke 19:10, For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost. People do not understand spiritual truth nor do they diligently seek after God. At best people are satisfied with being religious. I Corinthians 2:14, But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
- V 12, They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. Mankind has turned away from God’s way. Man’s ways are useless to God or His good purposes. Apart from God, people lack true goodness and kindness. While some unbelievers are gracious and kind their acts ultimately have no value because they do not come from believing hearts that seek to glorify God. Even a “good person” can rebel against God and seek his own welfare through goodness.
II. Humanity’s Depravity, Vs, 13-18
- Vs 13-14, Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness: The emphasis of these verses is on human speech. There is a connection between words and character. Matthew 12:34-37, O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned. Ephesians 2:1-3, And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. Romans 10:9, That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
- Vs 15-16, Their feet are swift to shed blood: Destruction and misery are in their ways. These verses deal with the destructive ways of the sinner. People apart from God are prone to violence. People murder and kill because they have no respect for the life of others. Isaiah 59:7-8, Their feet run to evil, and they make haste to shed innocent blood: their thoughts are thoughts of iniquity; wasting and destruction are in their paths. The way of peace they know not; and there is no judgment in their goings: they have made them crooked paths: whosoever goeth therein shall not know peace.
- V 17, And the way of peace have they not known. Because the unbeliever is willing to believe Satan’s lies they do not know the truth of God’s peace. Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
- V 18, There is no fear of God before their eyes. Psalms 36:1-2, To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David the servant of the LORD. The transgression of the wicked saith within my heart, that there is no fear of God before his eyes. For he flattereth himself in his own eyes, until his iniquity be found to be hateful. Proverbs 1:7, The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. When people see themselves as God sees them conviction of sin follows and the need to ask for God’s forgiveness will result in salvation.
III. Humanity’s Guilt, Vs, 19-20
- V 19, Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. All humanity is guilty before God. There may be some who want to debate the issue, but every mouth will be stopped. On the Day of Judgment the unbelieving sinner will have no defense.
- V 20, Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. No one can earn the privilege of going to heaven by obedience to the law’s requirements. The Law was never intended to be a means of salvation. The primary purpose of the law is to reveal sin by pointing out the individual’s need of salvation. Romans 6:23, For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Mankind does not have the ability to appease God’s anger and judgment for sin! Humanity’s deficiencies, depravity, and guilt cannot be changed apart from being made righteous through Jesus Christ. There is none good!
Has your mouth ever been stopped? Are you boasting of your own self-righteousness and defending yourself before God? If so, then perhaps you have never been saved by God’s grace. When people see themselves as God see's them conviction of sin follows and the need to ask for God’s forgiveness will result in salvation. The whole world is guilty before God and in need of a Savior.
Created and Researched by Pastor Dennis Baker
Zion Baptist Church
3485 New Baumgartner Rd. - St. Louis, MO 63129 - Phone: 314-846-1867